Attorneys Dedicated to Making a Difference

OC | Inland Empire | Los Angeles County

Most Common Firefighter Fireground Injuries

When firefighters are sent to the fireground, they put themselves at a significant risk for injury in order to put out fires and protect people in the surrounding areas. Being on the fireground requires constant situational awareness, attention to detail, and a commitment to maintaining personal and collective safety. However, even when firefighters follow their safety training to a tee, injuries can still occur.

Fireground Injury Statistics

According to a December 2016 report by the National Fire Protection Association, there were an average of more than 30,000 fireground injuries every year between 2010 and 2014. In the NFPA’s estimation, there are six primary causes of injury among firefighters while on the fireground, including:

  • Overexertion (26%)
  • Exposure to hazards (21%)
  • Slips and trips (13%)
  • Moving into or onto objects (13%)
  • Falls (11%)
  • Being struck or assaulted by a person, animal, or object (7%)

The study also found that 89% of all fireground injuries occurred while fighting structure fires, and 73% of these occurred while fighting fires in residential structures or on residential property. Approximately 79% of injuries were inflicted upon career firefighters and the other 21% were experienced by volunteer firefighters. An estimated third of firefighter injuries on the fireground resulted in reduced ability to work and meet the demands of the job.

Firefighter Injury Lawyers in Orange County

If you are an Orange County firefighter and you have been harmed while working on the fireground, you may not be able to continue working and earning a living. This can create significant financial hardship for you and your loved ones, in addition to costly medical care and treatment for your injuries.

At Humphrey & Associates, we provide skillful representation for firefighters and injured workers in Orange County and throughout the Inland Empire. If you were hurt while working on the fireground, we are prepared to evaluate your case for free and help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries and related damages. Connect with a member of our team as soon as possible to schedule a consultation and receive the trustworthy legal counsel you need during this time.

Call (844) 612-5800 today to speak to a firefighter injury attorney in Orange County.