Attorneys Dedicated to Making a Difference

OC | Inland Empire | Los Angeles County

How are Victims of Hit and Run Car Accidents Compensated?

The aftermath of a car accident (in a fault state like California) usually involves filing a claim with the other driver’s insurance company, and then evaluating the details of the crash to determine who was responsible. Often, the parties involved in the accident will negotiate to outline the terms of compensation, and if there is a dispute, the case will move to trial.

Allotting compensation following a motor vehicle collision involves prolonged communication with the other driver and their insurance company. In California and other states that base negligence cases on fault, establishing the liable party is a crucial detail.

However, this detail may elude you if you were injured in a hit and run accident. When a driver crashes into your car and speeds away, they may never be found, and then you are left without an important piece of your post-collision puzzle. Is it possible to be compensated after a hit and run accident?

Yes, victims of hit and run accidents can be compensated for their injuries — but it may require some proactivity on the part of the hurt driver.

To receive compensation for a hit and run in a fault state, the victim must be equipped with uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage does exactly what it describes: It provides benefits when you are injured in an accident by a driver who does not have insurance, or in this case, an absentee driver. Without an uninsured motorist policy, it may be very difficult to receive payments following a hit and run accidents.

Hit and Run Accidents in No-Fault States

If you live in a no-fault state, then you don’t need to worry! Accident compensation is issued from each person’s own insurance company, so your provider will be responsible for paying damages to you. As a resident of a no-fault state, recovering from a hit and run accident will involve filing a claim with your personal auto insurance provider.

Were You Injured in a Hit and Run?

Regardless of the circumstances, you should always contact a lawyer after a car accident. At Humphrey & Associates, our skilled attorneys can help you get the benefits you deserve.

Call (844) 612-5800 or use our contact form to schedule a free consultation.